• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelscout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In the state of VA.
What are the legalities of dating while separated from married spouse. Been separated since Aug. 09 due to domestic violence

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In the state of VA.
What are the legalities of dating while separated from married spouse. Been separated since Aug. 09 due to domestic violence
MISCELLANEOUS ISSUES DATING

"Our advice is simple on this subject: Unless and until you and your spouse have signed a written separation agreement resolving all issues, do not date. No, it's not illegal just to date (but adultery is a crime). Nevertheless, your spouse can (and will) use your seeing other people (even if not romantically) against you. Your spending time with the "other woman" or "other man" (even though that person was not even around when you and your spouse separated) will make negotiations much more difficult. "How dare he spend money on that hussy while I have nothing" or "I knew there was another man involved. I'm not going to give her another friggin' dime." If applicable, your children will not like your dating at all. And, yes it is their business. They desperately want to see you and your spouse back together. Your dating at these trying times for them sends the signal that their opinions and feelings don't matter. You can hold out a year. Modern psychologists recommend break between serious relationships of at least this long. Plus, you are married. Is this the message you want to send to your kids?
The next question that follows the one about dating is "can I move in with my boy/girl friend?" We don't even want to talk about that! If you do date, be prepared to face the problems that may arise. If you decide not to follow our advice, at least tell you attorney about it. If your attorney is surprised by it during negotiations, or worse yet, in court, it will hurt your case."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">