• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

curt_45

I was just recently involved in a vandalism case in which someone I'm related to had their house vandalized. That person called the police the next day and had me arrested. I was the only suspect and I have been recently found innocent. Do to these circumstancese I have lost my job and suffered a defamation of character throughout the community in which I live. What are my chances of filing a law suit, and if so what amount of money might I receive from this? By the way, I live in Ohio. Thank you.

JETX

Unless you can show that the arrest was done maliciously and without any basis, it is unlikely that you could prevail in a lawsuit against your accusers.

Additionally, you would have to show your actual damages. Though you might have lost income (job), the 'value of your defamation' could be very hard to establish. Finally, I doubt an attorney would take this on contingency (percent of judgment award), so you would have to pay costs out of pocket. Another reason to reconsider a legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">