• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bearls1017

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii
A "friend" gave me a pair of earrings and now she is claiming I stole them from her. I am no longer in Hawaii, and the investigator has contacted me by email. I have asked to see a copy of the compaint she filed, he said I can not get a copy until the case has been closed. I told the investigator that I had a letter she sent me telling me how she so lovingly gave me those earrings. He has gone back to her and told her about the letter, now she is emailing a copy of the letter to him. I am sure she will change it. Do I have any rights? and how do I protect myself?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If she mailed you a letter and you still have it I would say that's good enough to prove they were a gift.

What kind of "investigator" is involved with this?

bearls1017

He is a criminal investigator with the Hawaii Police Deparment (HPD) I called to make sure he was legit as was the case. They both are. The earrings can't be worth more than $100. It is a bunch of crap, but it is harassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">