• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to handle an auto accident that was my fault when I have double coverage on car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queennoise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

My boyfriend was just in an accident that was his fault. He is currently covered by two auto insurance companies. (When he bought a house he got grouped insurance to get better rates with his new company, but did not cancel his old insurance-meant to, but forgot.) He is not sure how to go about handling the claim(s). At the scene of the accident he only provided information about his old provider (as that was what he had handy at the time). The other involved party's insurance company just called today and we want to make sure that we handle this appropriately. I have read that he needs to make claims with both his old and new insurance carriers and that the likely outcome is that they will split the bill. I am not sure how accurate this is. Please advise. Thanks.

ecmst12

He needs to contact both of his insurance companies and let them figure out how to pay. They will most likely split the bill.

moburkes

He will not get paid twice. Like she said, they will each likely pay 1/2, depending upon the wording of the policy for situations where there is duplicate coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">