• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dacpatton

I live in Oregon. I was parking my car in a full parking lot and accidentally hit the back side of my car on the back part of a sheriff's truck. I got out and looked to see if there was any damage, and I did not notice any. I noticed someone in the passenger side of the truck and started to go over and apologize for bumping them and let them know I didn't see any damage, but it was a boy that looked to be about 8 or 9 years old so I did not talk to him thinking he wouldn't be able to be of any assistance in the matter. Thinking everything was fine, I left. About an hour later the police came to my door and I didn't know why they were there at first but when they asked if I had been somewhere about an hour ago I explained to them what had happened. They told me I left a bit of paint from my car on the bumper of the truck and there was a scratch on my car although when you look at it from a distance it looked like a line of mud as my car was dirty and had lines of mud everywhere. The police cited me with hit and run and I have to go to court next month. I have a clean driving record except for one at fault accident over 3 years ago and I have insurance and my driver's license is not suspended. I also have a clean record and was not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. I'm wondering what the outlook is for me. I'm really scared they're going to suspend my license as I am a mom and have to drive my kids to school and daycare and activities and my work requires me to drive to perform my job...does anyone know what may possible happen?

ecmst12

Learn your lesson, be apologetic and promise never to hit and run again, and hope for the best. Also, make sure your insurance is taking care of the damage to the other vehicle, preferably before your court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">