• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need to go through probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mart37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother pass away early in December of this year(2009). My sister and I were the benefeciaries of her life insurance with her employer. 60K Life Ins., 401K just a couple thousand's left she had been depleting her account.

No investments, no savings, creditors debt, and a couple hundred dollars in the local bank which is now her bank account is close too.

Two real properties; 1 SFH, 1 Condo. Both late. The condo is possibly in the process of foreclousure.

Is there any advantage to comitting to such responsibilities when there is so much to loose in today economy. Beside the creditors having some else on their sights to come looking for.

Recently found out that my mother had changed the beneficiary to read my newphew my sister's son.

Apparently when she signed the change; it was done this year Oct 2009. She recieived the copy of the her signed document which stated that the change would be effective January 01, 2010.

Her employer is saying that they are going to honor her last wishes or her (intent);

The Life Insurance Co. is saying that is up to the employer to decide on the beneficiary???

So why signed the legal document?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">