• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigbird74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We had our final hearing on Dec. 17th, the judge ruled on debts, child custody, support, etc. Since we are both doing the divorce ProSe, the judge told my Ex, the Petitioner, to prepare the final decree with the judgements that were made that day and get it turned in for the judge to sign.

I still have not received the final decree for my signature so he can get it filed. I believe he is doing this because he was ordered to pay approximately 70% of the joint debts (I was able to prove he should have been responsible for 100% of some of them, judge agreed) as well as had my child support adjusted to where it should have been set by the AG originally (nearly double). Just because he doesn't like what the judge ruled on doesn't mean that he doesn't have to put it in the decree and file and follow it.

So if he does not provide me with the final decree any time soon, how long to I have to wait to file a DWOP and make him have to start all over? I wouldn't expect any different rulings if I got it dismissed and he had to refile, so neither should he, but I believe that's what he's thinking.

BTW, I'm not expecting for it to get dismissed, I just think filing for DWOP will light a fire under him and get the ball rolling so I can be done with him. He's the one that started this after all.

Any help?

thanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

File for an order to show cause. He will then need to explain to the judge why it's not done and/or face penalties.

BTW, I hope you had the hearing recorded by a court reporter. If you did, there would be no reason why you'd have to have it dismissed and start over again.

LdiJ

File for an order to show cause. He will then need to explain to the judge why it's not done and/or face penalties.

BTW, I hope you had the hearing recorded by a court reporter. If you did, there would be no reason why you'd have to have it dismissed and start over again.
Another option would be to prepare the final decree with the judgements herself, and turn it into the judge with a motion asking for the judge to sign it without the ex's signature, since the ex basically refused to do the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">