• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear ended and the guy screwed me over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justine89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I got rear-ended in my brand new (used) car 9/09. I was driving on the freeway and the guy behind me didn't stop soon enough. The damage was minor (an estimate at $750). He was driving his friend's car who had insurance. He himself was uninsured. We decided to go through his friend's insurance and they ultimately decided they weren't going to accept liability because in his statement, he said that I had changed lanes prior to the accident (untrue).

I would appreciate anyone's expertise on how to get my car fixed without having my insurance rates go up.

I was told by someone to just go through my insurance and have them duke it out with the other party's insurance. However, my main goal is to make sure that I don't get any bad driving points on my insurance record. I am willing to pay to fix my own car if it means that that's the only way to be sure my insurance rates don't go up. I just think it's totally unfair that this guy can get away with an accident that was completely his fault just by lying on his statement. He had even admitted to me that it was 100% his fault, and had promised not to "burn me". Go figure.

Thanks! JustineWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I got rear-ended in my brand new (used) car 9/09. I was driving on the freeway and the guy behind me didn't stop soon enough. The damage was minor (an estimate at $750). He was driving his friend's car who had insurance. He himself was uninsured. We decided to go through his friend's insurance and they ultimately decided they weren't going to accept liability because in his statement, he said that I had changed lanes prior to the accident (untrue).

I would appreciate anyone's expertise on how to get my car fixed without having my insurance rates go up.

I was told by someone to just go through my insurance and have them duke it out with the other party's insurance. However, my main goal is to make sure that I don't get any bad driving points on my insurance record. I am willing to pay to fix my own car if it means that that's the only way to be sure my insurance rates don't go up. I just think it's totally unfair that this guy can get away with an accident that was completely his fault just by lying on his statement. He had even admitted to me that it was 100% his fault, and had promised not to "burn me". Go figure.

Thanks! JustineWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You should have reported this to your insurance, and to the DMV. Were you on your cell phone when this happened:cool:

ecmst12

Your insurance will not go up if you are not at fault. Your insurance company will MOST LIKELY not find you at fault, unless there is damage to the side and back of your car (instead of just the back) or there was a witness who saw you cut the other guy off. If you have full coverage, use it and let your insurance company deal with the other guy's insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">