• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home wiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbdyno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

is it legal to rewire my own home? i have read NEC guidlines + arkansas electrical code 2008 from us archives and after a while it all repeat/ran together and my brain is fried.

just bought a home built back in the wood cook stove days, at some point they wired it on 100 amp service. The wire OLD!!! I hate paying other people if i dont have to cause i like to do things myself. to me it is like a lawyer asking for legal advise and paying for it. i couldnt imagine that lol i guess it could happen though!

FarmerJ

If your home has a 100 amp service ( breaker panel) and you will be using some gas appliances like cooking, hot water, dryer, (natural or propane) a 100A service should meet your needs fine. Likely its the individual branch circuits in the house that may need some work. You can get books and videos on home wiring from library, lumberyards, etc and start with simpler stuff like say that new outlet you want for a chest freezer or washer down in the basement Make sure to file a permit too, reason being that if you make a mistake its only one thing and the inspector might be willing to tell you exactly what you did wrong. Most of it is common sense, where it will become harder is when you begin to replace wiring that serves rooms that you are not going to gut. The reason why I say to get a permit is that later on when and if you go to sell a buyer may actually check to see if a permit was pulled when they see all the nice newer wiring and back out due to lack of permit since they will wonder what else you did and if you took short cuts.

FlyingRon

I'm not sure what the legal question but a good book is Wiring Simplified by Richter et al . I think Home Depot carries it but certainly you can order it from Amazon. Probably one of the best DIY books I've seen.

Getting a copy of the NEC handbook wouldn't be bad (or perusing it at the library most have them in the reference section). The Handbook is the code plus some explanation and pictures. You're you're really a code junkie like I am (building a house), you can sign up for online access at Home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">