• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled Lady Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AJ2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was caught shoplifting last night (new years eve) at a grocery store. This was my first offence, with no priors on my record. I was given a civil demand instead of being arrested. I am ashamed of what I did. I'm not looking for an excuse, but I have bipolar disorder and I've been having a hard time with my meds. Anyways, I'm on Social Security Disability and the store headquarters is demanding I pay 100.00 a month until my fine of 489.00 is paid off. What happens if I cannot pay? Will I get arrested? Or will this just effect my credit?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was caught shoplifting last night (new years eve) at a grocery store. This was my first offence, with no priors on my record. I was given a civil demand instead of being arrested. I am ashamed of what I did. I'm not looking for an excuse, but I have bipolar disorder and I've been having a hard time with my meds. Anyways, I'm on Social Security Disability and the store headquarters is demanding I pay 100.00 a month until my fine of 489.00 is paid off. What happens if I cannot pay? Will I get arrested? Or will this just effect my credit?
Why is the fact that you are diabled relevant to you committing a crime?

Banned_Princess

Not that I never shoplift or anything, but if it were me, I would prefer to have been arrested and allowed a judge to impose a punishment on me.

And you being "disabled" has no bearing on your stealing. Its a stupid excuse, and you might not want to try to use that ever again.

dave33

I will be the minority here. If this is a civil demand and you are on disability you do not have to pay. They will probably sue you and serve you with papers that will demand your appearance at a court hearing. I do not believe a judge will rule against you. I think if you brought proof of your assistance, and showed it to whatever lawer represents the store that is suing you it may not even go before the judge. I should however say I am writing from another state and civil law may be completely different.Sorry, One should stick to what one knows. Anyway, something to look into. goodluck.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I will be the minority here. If this is a civil demand and you are on disability you do not have to pay. They will probably sue you and serve you with papers that will demand your appearance at a court hearing. I do not believe a judge will rule against you. I think if you brought proof of your assistance, and showed it to whatever lawer represents the store that is suing you it may not even go before the judge. I should however say I am writing from another state and civil law may be completely different.Sorry, One should stick to what one knows. Anyway, something to look into. goodluck.
Quite frankly you would be wrong. SHE STOLE. Hence she can definitely be ordered to pay and have a judgment against her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not that I never shoplift or anything, but if it were me, I would prefer to have been arrested and allowed a judge to impose a punishment on me.

And you being "disabled" has no bearing on your stealing. Its a stupid excuse, and you might not want to try to use that ever again.
Double negative cancels each other out and becomes a positive meaning you do shoplift or "anything". Care to correct yourself?

Some areas do have a MENTAL HEALTH court but the bipolar is NOT an excuse.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

So your saying people on disability can just go around shoplifting, and not worry that a judge will rule against them.

Please.

Banned_Princess

Double negative cancels each other out and becomes a positive meaning you do shoplift or "anything". Care to correct yourself?

Some areas do have a MENTAL HEALTH court but the bipolar is NOT an excuse.
Oh of course.

Not that I EVER shoplift.. because I don't.

Banned_Princess

HA ha, thats was before I knew people on disability payments could steal anything their heart desires because they are Bi Polar.

(lol, Just kidding)

racer72

I would also speculate that if the civil demand is not paid, criminal charges will be brought against the OP.

dave33

Guys and gals, all due respect. I am saying that there are protections for people on disability. Some of those protections are from civil liability. I am sure that things differ from state to state. I am not saying they have a license to steal nor am I saying anything for that matter. I am saying it is diifficult at best to collect $ from someone on disability.

Banned_Princess

It is also difficult to collect from poor people, and people who don't want to pay.

That in no way means they wont have a judgment against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">