• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in Chicago, Now living in Asia - can I get divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cluelessgirl

IL

I got married in chicago a few years ago. I moved to asia and I would like to stay in asia indefinitely.

Can I get divorced without having to fly back to chicago? Do I have to be personally physically present in court or can I just hire a lawyer to show up for me?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
IL

I got married in chicago a few years ago. I moved to asia and I would like to stay in asia indefinitely.

Can I get divorced without having to fly back to chicago? Do I have to be personally physically present in court or can I just hire a lawyer to show up for me?
Where is your spouse living? And yes you would have to be physically present in court if you want a divorce.

LdiJ

Where is your spouse living? And yes you would have to be physically present in court if you want a divorce.
I realize that I am not in IL, but my ex and I did not have to set foot in a courtroom. We submitted stipulated agreements via our attorneys and the judge signed off on it without a hearing. I know others who have had the same situation in many other states.

cluelessgirl

i don't think i will be able to get my husband to sign ... because i can't locate his address ... i was thinking i could do notice by publication ... and get the divorce by default when he doesn't appear in court

so if both my husband and i don't show up in court, we can't get divorced? i was thinking just to hire an attorney to do all the paperwork (including the publication) and just stay in asia ... would it be possible to get divorced without me flying back and let the attorney do everything?

thanks so much!

LdiJ

i don't think i will be able to get my husband to sign ... because i can't locate his address ... i was thinking i could do notice by publication ... and get the divorce by default when he doesn't appear in court

so if both my husband and i don't show up in court, we can't get divorced? i was thinking just to hire an attorney to do all the paperwork (including the publication) and just stay in asia ... would it be possible to get divorced without me flying back and let the attorney do everything?

thanks so much!
You absolutely would have to appear in court in that scenario. Are you legally residing in Asia? Are you able to divorce in whatever country you are in?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

thanks so much!
How do you know he is still in Chicago? You would have to show up due to the fact that you live in Asia and the court is going to want to know how you proved that your husband lives in IL and has jurisdiction over the divorce.

mistoffolees

How do you know he is still in Chicago? You would have to show up due to the fact that you live in Asia and the court is going to want to know how you proved that your husband lives in IL and has jurisdiction over the divorce.
If OP has lived in Asia long enough to have established legal residency there, it may be easier to get the divorce in Asia - if her country allows divorce similar to our divorce by publication. However, she would need to see an attorney in her country to see what is possible.

However, if there are any property division issues, her country would not have jurisdiction over her husband in Chicago or wherever he is.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If OP has lived in Asia long enough to have established legal residency there, it may be easier to get the divorce in Asia - if her country allows divorce similar to our divorce by publication. However, she would need to see an attorney in her country to see what is possible.

However, if there are any property division issues, her country would not have jurisdiction over her husband in Chicago or wherever he is.
Yep. If hubby is in IL then she could divorce in IL. However she doesn't even know where HUBBY actually is if she cannot serve him.

mistoffolees

Yep. If hubby is in IL then she could divorce in IL. However she doesn't even know where HUBBY actually is if she cannot serve him.
They've only been married a few years and she doesn't even know where he is for much of that time, so I'm guessing property won't be an issue - suggesting that she should look into divorce in her new home if it's possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">