• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gifted property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kdwimberly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas
If a vehicle was bought as a birthday gift for one our children can this be taken from him in the divorce.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree that whomevers name it is titled in will make a huge difference. However, I have seen judges acknowledge that items like that are the property of children.
The problem is, it better be pretty clear cut evidence for a judge to rule against the title that junior was gifted a car.

LdiJ

The problem is, it better be pretty clear cut evidence for a judge to rule against the title that junior was gifted a car.
One case I know of for certain the judge accepted a video from the child's birthday party as the evidence...LOL.

nextwife

Are the parents that gifted now divorcing, or was the car a gift to an adult child and now THEIR spouse is trying to claim it in a divorce? Is it a free and clear vehicle or is there an open loan? And, if there is still a balance, who is on the loan.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
One case I know of for certain the judge accepted a video from the child's birthday party as the evidence...LOL.
Well that would be evidence of the child receiving something as a gift. Pretty clear cut actually. Was it -- the video -- by any chance My Sweet Sixteen?

LdiJ

Well that would be evidence of the child receiving something as a gift. Pretty clear cut actually. Was it -- the video -- by any chance My Sweet Sixteen?
Not sure what you mean by the "My Sweet Sixteen" reference.

It was actually pretty funny because the parent who was the "hero" on the video, the one "presenting" the car to the child, was the same parent who was trying to claim that it was marital property in the divorce.

The judge was pretty PO'd, and so was the parent's attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not sure what you mean by the "My Sweet Sixteen" reference.

It was actually pretty funny because the parent who was the "hero" on the video, the one "presenting" the car to the child, was the same parent who was trying to claim that it was marital property in the divorce.

The judge was pretty PO'd, and so was the parent's attorney.
"My Sweet Sixteen" is a television show on MTV that shows spectacular children's birthday parties -- all of which have cost more than my house. These sweet little teenagers :rolleyes: -- sweet only if you like entitled, spoiled brats who demand things like to go shopping on Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue for their party outfit or to have color coordinated napkins that match the strippers' briefs at the party -- have everything from a circus performers to popular Billboard-charting singers entertain at their parties. At the end of each episode, the teen is rewarded with a car (usually though in one they were gifted a $100,000 race horse to ride) such as a Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, or Porsche. All the guests (usually numbering in the hundreds) rejoiced as the new 16 year old got behind the wheel and drove off. License is optional apparently.
Go to mtv.com and you can search for show synopsis and clips. BLAH.

I could understand the judge being PO'd. That was substantial evidence that the car was NOT marital property even if it was titled differently.

frylover

"My Sweet Sixteen" is a television show on MTV that shows spectacular children's birthday parties -- all of which have cost more than my house. These sweet little teenagers :rolleyes: -- sweet only if you like entitled, spoiled brats who demand things like to go shopping on Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue for their party outfit or to have color coordinated napkins that match the strippers' briefs at the party -- have everything from a circus performers to popular Billboard-charting singers entertain at their parties. At the end of each episode, the teen is rewarded with a car (usually though in one they were gifted a $100,000 race horse to ride) such as a Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, or Porsche. All the guests (usually numbering in the hundreds) rejoiced as the new 16 year old got behind the wheel and drove off. License is optional apparently.
Go to mtv.com and you can search for show synopsis and clips. BLAH.

Wow. Just...wow. Are these "famous" kids?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow. Just...wow. Are these "famous" kids?
Scarily one of them lives less than an hour from me near Ashland -- her family owns the "castle" there. She entered her birthday party on the back of an elephant. Don't ask. They are NOT all "famous" kids. Spoiled, yes. Famous, no.

See http://www.mtv.com/shows/sweet_16/episode.jhtml?episodeID=131527
There are no losers allowed in Lacey Land. Birthday girl Lacey Myers from Ashland, Ohio makes it clear that her world is only for the young, rich and fabulous.
Those lucky enough to meet Lacey's approval will be invited to her Fantasy themed birthday party at Landolls Mohican Castle, where Lacey says "Disneyland meets me." This fairytale castle will soon be transformed into a circus/swanky dance club: Lacey Land. As Lacey begins to plan the basics of her party, such as playing with tigers, riding elephants, and carnival games, Gary, her party planner, insists that the "open checkbook policy" is implemented. All Daddy's little girl has to do is flash a sparkling smile and her parents give their nod of approval. Not that they had a choice to begin with; as Lacey's dad says, "it's you're world, we're just living in it."

Every great party comes with extravagant invitations. Lacey takes it a step further. As she is carried by men in costumes into a crowd of her anxious friends, a helicopter flies overhead, dropping a mysterious bag of keys. It turns out that these keys open treasure chests, which contain invitations written on old-fashioned scrolls.

After delivering the invitations, it's time to go costume shopping. Lacey tries on several outfits, some risqué and some just ridiculous, and finally decides on a sparkly silver showgirl bikini, accented by a white feathered headpiece.

The next step is decorating Lacey Land. Lacey decides that in addition to the circus decorations, Lacey Land should be plastered with, (what else?), sexy photos of herself. Apparently, Ashland Ohio isn't sexy enough to photograph this princess, so Lacey flies to a beach in Florida to do the shoot. She only hesitates for a moment when photographers hand her a 20-foot python to take the pictures with.

The final errand before the party is a quick trip to Las Vegas, where Lacey's mom casually shells out $5,200 for her dance party dress.

Finally on the big day, Lacey is getting nervous because she can't find Gary, who has her costume. At the last minute, Gary appears with bad news: he wants to change Lacey's showgirl costume. Lacey protests, ignoring Gary's reasoning that her costume is too short to ride an elephant in, which is how Lacey planned on making her grand entrance.

Lacey crosses her fingers and makes her entrance, facing only a minor dilemma when her large headpiece gets caught on a fake tree branch. Luckily, Lacey manages to maneuver around the branch without falling out of her costume, or off the elephant.

After some tiger shows and carnival games, Lacey's dad appears with yet another surprise: a silver range rover. This gift should be the ending to the perfect party. But this is Lacey Land and the fun's not over yet. The guests are moved inside to a dance party, where a pink, six-layer cake is brought out.

Finally, the party guests are chauffeured by trolley from the castle of Lacey Land, and Lacey drives away in her new Range Rover. Judging by the smiles on everyone's faces, this was even better than the typical Fairy Tale ending.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Scarily one of them lives less than an hour from me near Nemacolin -- her family owns the "castle" there. She entered her birthday party on the back of an elephant. Don't ask. They are NOT all "famous" kids. Spoiled, yes. Famous, no.
That reminds me of an episode of "Dirty Sexy Money" where the twins were fighting over their birthday party, decided to have separate parties, and then complained because splitting the budget (500,000 each) was too "limiting".

A Sweet Sixteen party is a big deal, and I really don't have that much problem with a wealthy family providing according to their ability to provide for such a function. It really depends on how much of a solid foundation their children get otherwise as far as life is concerned.

Its seems to me that truly wealthy families go to extremes with their children, either one way or another. Either they indulge them with no real expectations, or, they indulge them, but have expectations for academic performance, business performance, political performance etc., to an extreme point.

I really wonder sometimes how many really wealthy families raise their children with simply solid foundations and no excess expectations.

I was the employee (many years ago) of a woman that many people would recognize if I named her. I admired her then and admire her now enormously. However her children are and were a mess. I never understood how her children could fall so far from the "tree"...however I realize now that they were indulged without any expectations at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">