• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex Wife is using my name illegally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wheeler1216

My ex wife got remarried, ultimately left the guy which is typical of her, but she is now using my last name illegally. Is there anything I can do? She is still legally married to the guy. While her and I were married I ended up going bankrupt because of her using my social security number and obtaining credit cards and maxing them out without me knowing or wanting them. I just need to know if there is anything I can legally do to make her stop using my name illegally. I don't need anymore debts accrued or anymore b.s. that deals with her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex wife got remarried, ultimately left the guy which is typical of her, but she is now using my last name illegally. Is there anything I can do? She is still legally married to the guy. While her and I were married I ended up going bankrupt because of her using my social security number and obtaining credit cards and maxing them out without me knowing or wanting them. I just need to know if there is anything I can legally do to make her stop using my name illegally. I don't need anymore debts accrued or anymore b.s. that deals with her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your last name? Which she took? Was her maiden name restored to her by court order?

Proserpina

And please list your state.

Just Blue

Do you "own" the "rights" to your last name? :confused:

Wheeler1216

She's not using your name illegally. It's a non-issue. Move on.
How is it not illegal? She's married to someone else and goes by his name for certain stuff, her maiden name for other things and my name for others. How is using my name legal in any aspect?

LdiJ

Your last name was still legally her last name when you got divorced. When she remarried unless she legally changed her last name to her husband's name she would have still legally retained your last name. Now that she is divorced again, it may still be legally her last name.

Wheeler1216

Your last name was still legally her last name when you got divorced. When she remarried unless she legally changed her last name to her husband's name she would have still legally retained your last name. Now that she is divorced again, it may still be legally her last name.
She's NOT divorced again. She is still legally married to the guy, (they are just split up) and yes she took his last name. That's where I'm confused. How can she legally use my last name while (in courts and documents) having a different last name on file? I'm sorry if I'm confusing everyone. I just don't want the same problems as I had to repeat again. I just thought that you had to go by what is your legal name. If my last name were her legal name I know that I couldn't do or say anything. It's the fact she's using it while legally having another name, that's all. Sorry again for all the confusion.

Proserpina

Which is exactly the situation I'm in (except I was widowed with #2, not divorced twice).

Nothing illegal about it. At all.

Proserpina

She's NOT divorced again. She is still legally married to the guy, (they are just split up) and yes she took his last name. That's where I'm confused. How can she legally use my last name while (in courts and documents) having a different last name on file? I'm sorry if I'm confusing everyone. I just don't want the same problems as I had to repeat again. I just thought that you had to go by what is your legal name. If my last name were her legal name I know that I couldn't do or say anything. It's the fact she's using it while legally having another name, that's all. Sorry again for all the confusion.
I have TWO legal names. Two. Not just one.

There's nothing illegal about what she's doing unless she's deliberately using one of those names to commit fraud.

Wheeler1216

Thanks to everyone who answered. I'm not happy that she can use my name still even though being legally recognized as someone else, but as long as she leaves me, my credit, and everything else that pertains to me alone I'll look the other way. I'll be keeping a close eye on my credit from now on. Thanks again.

Proserpina

Thanks to everyone who answered. I'm not happy that she can use my name still even though being legally recognized as someone else, but as long as she leaves me, my credit, and everything else that pertains to me alone I'll look the other way. I'll be keeping a close eye on my credit from now on. Thanks again.
Yes, PLEASE do this!! And you're welcome :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">