• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill502

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Back in 2006 my father came to me and asked me if I wanted to buy several pieces of property he had here in Virginia. At first he wanted to leave both Deed to property and Bank loan in his name telling me he wanted some time to build up his credit after a divorce. This agreement caused major problems with my wife and I in turn moved into a small house on the property for several months. During that time, I did a total remodel on the house which included drywall, tile, carpet, and vinyl siding. All went well with the agreement for about 18 months, that is, me paying his loan payment, taxes, etc. My father then began insisting that I go to the bank and have the loan placed in my name. I told my father I would be glad to as soon as he placed the deed in my name which he absolutely refused to do. I refused to pay anymore payments on the property, I had already tied up approxiametely $30,000 into the properties not counting all my time. I decided to rent the house on the property out at the end on 2008 in an attempt to recoup some of my money. Back in July of 2009 I received a registered letter from an attorney my father had hired. The letter stated he would sell me the property, less one piece which he had sold off, for agreed amount of money. I sent a registered letter back to his attorney agreeing to his terms. Once again he put everything on hold and wouldn't have a contract drawn up. A few days weeks ago I received a phone call from a neighbor that lives next to the property that there were people there looking at the property. I called my father and the conversation became extremely heated. Two days ago I received a registered letter from him banning me from the property with threats of having me arrested if I stepped foot on the property. I have lots of stuff in a garage on the property and I am afraid to go on the property to retreive my stuff. I have received word that he is going to sell the property. I need to know how can I go about getting my stuff with out being arrested. And do I have any rights to the amount of money I have in the property. Any help would be greatly appreciately. :confused:

latigo

If the material terms of the sale were set forth in the offer submitted by your father’s attorney, and you unconditionally accepted those terms and in writing, prior to the offer being withdrawn, THEN you have the makings of a case for specific performance of that sale/purchase agreement.

Get together with an attorney in your state experienced in real property law.

You may or may not have a case against pop for unjust enrichment. Discuss this with your attorney.

But do something before he sells the property. At least have the attorney file the lawsuit and record a Lis Pendens. Snooze and you lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">