• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

autum1962

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autum1962

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas My husband and I have been divorced for 2 years. At the time of our divorce, our children were 45 and 43 years old. When we filed for a divorce, we stated that there was no children under the age of 18. When the divorce was actually finalized, it says there were no children from this marriage. He is saying that he is going to have the divorced thrown out and refile, there fore get half of everything that was awarded to me. He hasn't worked in 17 years and there is no half for me to get from him. Can he do this?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas My husband and I have been divorced for 2 years. At the time of our divorce, our children were 45 and 43 years old. When we filed for a divorce, we stated that there was no children under the age of 18. When the divorce was actually finalized, it says there were no children from this marriage. He is saying that he is going to have the divorced thrown out and refile, there fore get half of everything that was awarded to me. He hasn't worked in 17 years and there is no half for me to get from him. Can he do this?
He's not likely to get very far with it. However, if he does file, you MUST respond, preferably with an attorney's help.

LdiJ

There are no CHILDREN.... those people are adults, probably working on having their own GRANDCHILDREN.
And even if it was somehow wrong to state that there were no children of the marriage, only MINOR children are relevant in a divorce, so that would be no reason to reopen a property settlement.

The divorce itself cannot be thrown out. Only the property settlement could be reopened. Issues regarding children would almost never be a reason to reopen a property settlement anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">