• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discriminating during the interview process in st. louis mo.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acook

recently my son had several interviews with two different major companies in our area. the first was with a utility co. the position was for a laborer. before even being considered for the position is they must pass a iq test. my question is if they require you pass a iq test for a laborer position why is not required for the upper level job classifications?? Isn't that discriminating based on job class. Is it legal?? What can I do??
the second interview with a major railroad co. before you are allowed to fill out an application they began asking personal questions!! Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Have you had any DUI's in the last 5yrs? I can't remember all the questions that were asked there were others. Reason they gave was because many of the entry level employees bid on engineering positions when they become available. now my question is can they legally eliminate people based on what might occur in the future? How long does it take to become a RR engineer, years I say and then it may or may not happen at all, if its a bidding process. Is it legal?? What can I do??

D

D. D. Lessenberry

acook said:
recently my son had several interviews with two different major companies in our area. the first was with a utility co. the position was for a laborer. before even being considered for the position is they must pass a iq test. my question is if they require you pass a iq test for a laborer position why is not required for the upper level job classifications?? Isn't that discriminating based on job class. Is it legal?? What can I do??
the second interview with a major railroad co. before you are allowed to fill out an application they began asking personal questions!! Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Have you had any DUI's in the last 5yrs? I can't remember all the questions that were asked there were others. Reason they gave was because many of the entry level employees bid on engineering positions when they become available. now my question is can they legally eliminate people based on what might occur in the future? How long does it take to become a RR engineer, years I say and then it may or may not happen at all, if its a bidding process. Is it legal?? What can I do??

I don't see anything that is illegal. It is routine to ask about felonies, DUI's, etc. IQ test is a bit odd--more like the '50's.

In PA, teachers (supposed professionals) usually don't even get to the interview without a police clearance form and a child abuse clearance form.

sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">