• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk when questioned...please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bad drunk

On New Year's Eve, my fiance and I got into an argument (both of us had WAY too much to drink). The neighbors called the police and they took him to jail. I don't remember much of the situation. I am being told now that I said he hit me but I don't think he did. What I remember does not include him hitting me. He also says he did not. He is not a violent person and we are a very loving couple who have been together a long time. Now he is facing third degree assault charges. I am planning on saying in court that he did NOT hit me. What legal ramifications am I facing by retracting my statement?

CdwJava

On New Year's Eve, my fiance and I got into an argument (both of us had WAY too much to drink). The neighbors called the police and they took him to jail. I don't remember much of the situation. I am being told now that I said he hit me but I don't think he did. What I remember does not include him hitting me. He also says he did not. He is not a violent person and we are a very loving couple who have been together a long time. Now he is facing third degree assault charges. I am planning on saying in court that he did NOT hit me. What legal ramifications am I facing by retracting my statement?
If you do not remember, then if you go to court and say he did NOT hit you, you will be committing the crime of perjury.

You cannot have it both ways ... you either recall what happened or what you said, or you do not.

Heck, the officers may even have your statement recorded.

If you decide to throw yourself on the sword and commit perjury or confess to making a false report to the police, you might want to consider consulting an attorney before you testify as you might very well be going to jail yourself even as your boyfriend goes free.

It amazes me that victims are so often willing to confess to something in order to switch places with the guy that smacked them. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">