• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to sell my vechile? Wife leaving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jebatzel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

In December my wife was in an accident and got our car totaled.

I still have a van that is in my name and she is asking me to sell it and give her half the money since she is leaving me and needs money.

The van is registered in my name, but it was bought when we were married.

Can she force me to do this?

I think the van's trade in value is only worth $1,000

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

In December my wife was in an accident and got our car totaled.

I still have a van that is in my name and she is asking me to sell it and give her half the money since she is leaving me and needs money.

The van is registered in my name, but it was bought when we were married.

Can she force me to do this?

I think the van's trade in value is only worth $1,000
No, your wife cannot force you to sell it, but a judge can award her half of its equity as part of the property settlement. Then it would be up to you how to come up with the money to pay her.

jebatzel

from police log:
Carlisle police (243-5252)

• Driver was arrested after an incident at 3:23 a.m. Dec. 16 in the first block of Spring Road.

Police said a vehicle belonging to driver’s girlfriend hit two parked cars and driver tried to cover it up by telling them someone stole the vehicle.

Driver was charged with DUI, false reports to law enforcement authorities, driving under DUI-related suspension and careless driving. He was also wanted on a Cumberland County bench warrant but was eventually released on $5,000 bail.

Driver’s passenger, Wife, was cited with public drunkenness and taken to the police station to sober up.
Yes, he told the police she was his girlfriend. But the car was in my name.

Last edited:

LdiJ

from police log:

Yes, he told the police she was his girlfriend. But the car was in my name.
I am confused.

The police report says girlfriend, and later wife, is that referring to YOUR wife? Does she have a boyfriend and he was driving the car drunk?

Or is that the other party?

jebatzel

The driver told the police that my wife was his girlfriend.

He also tried to lie and say he wasn't driving and that someone stole the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">