• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident without insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jack2010010111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

I was recently involved in a car accident as a passenger, and just had a few questions.

My buddy was driving and we were rear ended by the other vehicle involved. Turns out, neither the driver or the driver of the vehicle I was in have insurance. I don't have any medical expenses or anything like that, but the car my friend was driving is a lease that he needs to be turned in after a certain period of time.

I was wondering if my friend would still be able to take the guy who damaged his car to court and get the car repaired, even though him or the other guy were not insured at the time of the accident? How would something like that work, and what would he need to do? Thanks for the input.

ecmst12

If the repair cost was little enough for small claims court, he could sue himself. Otherwise, he will need a lawyer to sue in regular court.

He can expect his leaseholder to go after him for not carrying the REQUIRED full coverage insurance on his vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">