• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kubota

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.Y. Hi, the rural township that I reside in has plowed the road ( not a town road but a public road ) for the past 25 or more years that I and four other year round families live. This winter without any notice have decided not to plow anymore. Do I have any recourse in this situation?

FarmerJ

Dan curious question here , since it sounds like you live on a private road even though it serves multiple properties are you able to learn the exact break down of your local property taxes to your township, (your city -twp cleark should have the information available , what I am suggesting is to learn if you have a lower property tax based on your home not being on a public road or not, If your detailed breakdown from the local portion of your property taxes are lower than other twp residents you might be able to get the city- twp to agree to plow it when they do the other roads if you all paid for it . ( I know of people who live on Minimum maint roads year around and they have to pay additional fees to be plowed. ( they also are paying slightly less than others in same TWP who are on twp roads) Your also certainly free to learn what has to be done if possible for a private road to become public TWP road instead of private. In any of the paperwork for your home or in your homes title was there any kind of private road maint agreement or rules spelled out for all properties re maint and paying for it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">