• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm accused of hit and run that I know nothing about.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echuskey

I'm in Tennessee. I received a letter this past Saturday 1/2/2010 from an insurance company, claiming I owe them $1200 for damages to their clients vehicle, from an incident on November 7th. Neither me or my wife have been in any accidents so we called the number on the letter and asked to speak to the agent listed. She wasn't in, but the lady who answered the phones said her computer showed that it was a hit and run and an eye witness took down the plates. She couldn't tell me where it happened or even which vehicle it supposedly happened in. The letter says payment is due by 1/7/2010 or it will be turned over to collections. My insurance says unless we're filling a claim there's nothing they can do. Is this even legal? This is the first we have heard of this, we haven't been contacted by police, or the insurance until this letter. We checked both cars and there is no damage anywhere. How should we proceed? The agent listed on the letter still has not returned our calls."

Last edited:

FlyingRon

"Collections" absent some obligation to pay (i.e, you admitting blame or them getting a judgment against you) is highly misleading (and perhaps even illegal).

Usually, they'll demand your insurance info. Once you do have the particulars, you can forward it all to your insurance company.

CraigFL

This sounds too much like a scam to me. Google the name of the insurance company and their telephone number to see what you can find. I suspect you aren't the first person they tried.

ecmst12

File the claim with your insurance company and let them defend you. This is what you pay them for!

echuskey

Insurance co.

The company is SafeCo Insurance which, from looking at online reviews has plenty of problems.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will contact them, and tell them I have no idea what they're talking about, but if they have some sort of proof, they can send it to me and I will turn it over to my insurance co. and let them deal with it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">