• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koolkcr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana...my father passed away in a war vet home in Louisiana. He has a Last Will and Testement...but has no possessions, property or assets. However I have rec'd 1 (less than $500.00) and 1 (less than $1,300.00) refund checks. What do I do with these items. Do I have to probate such a small amount??

Last edited:

Kiawah

If the state Medicaid was covering some or all of the cost of this nursing home, then they would have a claim against the estate, and these funds would most likely go to them.

koolkcr

It was a Veteran home and was paid by the government and from his SS, no medicaid. I just need to know what I can do to cash these checks that are MADE OUT TO THE ESTATE and pay what bills I can from these funds. I reside in New Mexico and he died in Louisiana. Tks for your response

Last edited:

Kiawah

Whoever has been paying the tab, will likely have a claim against the estate.

For what it is worth, my MIL has been in a Veterans Administration nursing home, with assets depleted after years of assisted living and nursing homes, receiving veterans pension and social security, with the remainder paid by state medicaid.

It may be the state that has been picking up the difference, you need to check.

However it goes down, if you are able to cash the checks you better keep the assets handy, if one of these agencies come a knocking. I've heard it can take over a year for the state to come knocking (as per lawyer assisting me). The VA was prompt, we had to square up their portion within a month.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">