• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about hostile living environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baby_behr_77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): Washington

Question:

I entered into a lease agreement in November of 2008 for the duration of 6 months with three roommates (three of us being on the lease and the fourth not).

During the duration of that lease, one of the roommates moved out due to feeling of extreme hostility from one of the other tenants (the one NOT on the lease).

Due to the property being owned by two individuals, one of the landlords was notified of this and the reasons why the property was being vacated and the lease agreement was being violated on their part.

The landlord refused to release them from the lease agreement (reguardless of fines for violating it) as well as refused to remove them from the lease.

The vacating tenant drew up a notorized document releasing her from liability with the other tenants on the lease.

When time came to renew the lease again (this time for one year) the landlord with whom there had been the problems before when the vacating tenant made notice to leave refused to add the tenant who had not been on the lease to the new lease, and insisted that only two of the remaining tenants (myself and my ex-wife) be on the lease agreement as that we were the ones who were on the original agreement.

Now, my problem is this, the tenant who is not on the lease (and never has been) has in turn created a very hostile living environment. It has not escallated to the point of the authorities becoming involved, and I have made the decision to vacate the premises as well. I have notified the other landlord (the joint property holder) of my decision to vacate with more than 30 days notice.

What can I do to protect myself in the event that the remaining tenants do damage to the property in my absence? Would I also need to draw up a release of liability form?

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">