• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animals in attic and roof damage-who is responsible to pay and repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schutz18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I live in NJ in a town home. There are 100 town homes in total in our community, built in 1997. In my building there are 6 units. Three of my neighbors and myself have complained to the association that we have animals in our attics. We were told to hire an exterminator at our own cost to have them inspect the roof and trap the animals. The exterminator came out today and told me that he found an entrance on my roof near the attic fan. The attic fan was installed as an option that I paid for when I built the house in 1997. Then he found another hole on the roof of the house next to me and the third house had work done on the roof a few weeks ago due to a leak. The work was done by the association. So traps are set and this will continue for a week or so. The association said that after the animals are trapped and the exterminator patches up any holes the association would come out and permanently repair the holes. My question is if the association is responsible for maintenance and repair of the roof and the roofs have now been found to have defects why should we as homeowners have to pay for any of the extermination? If there were no defects, there would be no animals to exterminate. There would also be additional charges for the exterminator to come into our attics after the animals have been trapped to clean up any droppings and to repair any damage done by the animals. Why should we have to pay for any of that as well? Do we as homeowners have a good case to take to the board that they should have to pay for all 4 homes to be repaired properly including roof repair and attic cleaning and extermination etc.? Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">