• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA are they just being nosey?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadie0530

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I currently live in a townhhome and I travel a lot for my job. I have had a friend of mine move in with me because I am gone for large amounts of time. I do not charge this friend any rent. Everything is in my name I am the owner of the townhome. My HOA is requesting that I file a renter request due to the bi-laws we are only allowed a certain number of units to be rented. My issue is that I am not renting but someone does live with me. I have changed my mail address because we do not have locked boxes. Does my HOA have the right to make me apply for a renter license? What kind of proof do I need to give the HOA? Also if I refuse what legal action can they take?

JETX

Does my HOA have the right to make me apply for a renter license? What kind of proof do I need to give the HOA? Also if I refuse what legal action can they take?
What did the HOA say when you asked THEM these questions in WRITING??

JustAPal00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I currently live in a townhhome and I travel a lot for my job. I have had a friend of mine move in with me because I am gone for large amounts of time. I do not charge this friend any rent. Everything is in my name I am the owner of the townhome. My HOA is requesting that I file a renter request due to the bi-laws we are only allowed a certain number of units to be rented. My issue is that I am not renting but someone does live with me. I have changed my mail address because we do not have locked boxes. Does my HOA have the right to make me apply for a renter license? What kind of proof do I need to give the HOA? Also if I refuse what legal action can they take?
Look, a lot of people try to trick the system. They are just trying to cover their bases. The big red flag here is the change of mailing address. Homeowners often try to cheat insurance companies by saying a home is owner occupied to qualify for cheaper rates when actuall they do not live there. Likewise people who are unable to rent their places for one reason or another often say that a friend or family member is living with them when the truth is they no longer live there. If what you say is true, and you just have a roomate that is there more often then you are, why would you change your mailing address? Your roomate could just keep your mail in a stack, or send it to where you are working. Keep in mind that owner occupied means it is the owners primary residence, all others are tenant occupied.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If the OP considers his/her home to be their PRIMARY residence, then, they need to state that to the HOA.

I can see where the OP might not want their mail to be lost by a roommate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">