• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable for Neighbor's dog's Vet Bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephv710

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

We have a Palm Tree in our back yard which is about 30 feet tall. Every season, it grows these "seeds" that are like little balls. We do our best to keep them trimmed, however, sometimes they fall off and subsequently land in the neighbor's yard. Yesterday, their dog ate one of the seeds and is now at the vet. Will we be liable for the vet bills? He is making noises like he is going to hold us liable, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

We have a Palm Tree in our back yard which is about 30 feet tall. Every season, it grows these "seeds" that are like little balls. We do our best to keep them trimmed, however, sometimes they fall off and subsequently land in the neighbor's yard. Yesterday, their dog ate one of the seeds and is now at the vet. Will we be liable for the vet bills? He is making noises like he is going to hold us liable, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
No, that is in no way your fault, their yard, their problem.

Have a lovely day.

stephv710

Even if they fall off of OUR tree? I hate conflict and I really want to have ammunition. Also, I really have no proof that that is in fact what is wrong with the dog.....

JustAPal00

Once they fall into your neighbors yard, they become theirs. If they throw them back into your yard you could call the police for them throwing their garbage into your yard. If you want to keep peace, you may consider helping with the bill, but you would only be doing that out of the kindness of your own heart.

nextwife

Birds carry seeds, squirrels carry seeds. If the seeds exist in your neighborhoood, they can make their way to their yard, even if YOU did not have the tree.

Antigone*

State that you are sorry to hear that their dog is ill, but you are in no way responsible for the vet bill.

please dont be suprised when the neighbors cut down portions of your tree that are on their property. That is their right as well,

stephv710

Actually, he did cut down a portion of my tree, that was NOT on their property and let the branches fall into my yard and jacuzzi. I'm just going to let it go since he probably did me a favor....but I don't think I should pay vet bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">