• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident and snow in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PRHolder

Last Thursday, while it was snowing and the roads were very skiddy, my car skidded and hit a fire hydrant. There was no injury to anyone and there was no other vehicle involved.

The cop who came over as well as the appraiser said - It is not your fault.

I filed a claim and I want to know if i will be paying the dedutible ($1000) for the repair? or due to snow and skiddy roads (and not counting my fault) - the insurance company will pay for all repairs?

Thanks for your input.

Mass_Shyster

Last Thursday, while it was snowing and the roads were very skiddy, my car skidded and hit a fire hydrant. There was no injury to anyone and there was no other vehicle involved.

The cop who came over as well as the appraiser said - It is not your fault.

I filed a claim and I want to know if i will be paying the dedutible ($1000) for the repair? or due to snow and skiddy roads (and not counting my fault) - the insurance company will pay for all repairs?

Thanks for your input.
Yes, you will be paying the deductable. You may not get a surcharge on your insurance. If you do, you can fight it.

ecmst12

In a one car accident, the driver is pretty much ALWAYS at fault. If you can't drive safely in the snow, you shouldn't drive. You will NOT be able to successfully fight any surcharge you may get.

PRHolder

I dont think there is any Surcharge

Thanks for your input.

I don't think there is any surcharge the insurance are going to put.

My question was more in relation with the deductible, which I thought would be payed by the insurance company if I was not at fault. So, seems like the deductible is something we have to pay even when not at fault?

JustAPal00

I think the officer was comforting you by saying it was not your fault. You are required by law to maintain control of your vehicle at all times. You didn't!

Mass_Shyster

Thanks for your input.

I don't think there is any surcharge the insurance are going to put.

My question was more in relation with the deductible, which I thought would be payed by the insurance company if I was not at fault. So, seems like the deductible is something we have to pay even when not at fault?
The insurance company will collect the deductible from the other party if they are at fault.

Similar to a hit-and-run. You are not at fault, but the other party is not available to collect from, so you end up with the bill.

ecmst12

First of all, it WAS your fault.

Second of all, you ALWAYS have to pay your deductible when you use your own insurance company to repair your car. The only time you DON'T have to pay it is if another PERSON/driver is at fault, then THAT person's insurance pays your deductible.

The only way you wouldn't have to pay your deductible is if you have a "deductible waiver" coverage that some companies are offering now, where they will forgive the deductible once every so many years.

ecmst12

Fire hydrants are freakin expensive, too. I had a claim for one in DC that was over $5k to replace. But, OP's insurance will cover it.

PRHolder

Fire Hydrant - Damaged a little

Yes, the fire hydrant was damaged a little. There was no water pouring out of it and I see a orange cone put on top of it (so i assume they going to repair it)

Good point about the repair bill coming up. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks all

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">