• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child abuse/Domestic Violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xctr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

My father was extremely mentally and physically abusive. He forced me to miss school, made me work on his farm, locked me in my room for three days at a time with video cameras, and eventually kicked me out of the house with no where to go when I was only 17, attempted to kick me out of the house when I was 15. I was beaten so much i had to wrap my bruises to prevent teachers from seeing them and thrown against walls. He moved his 20 year old girlfriend into the house while my step mother and I still lived with him in high school. I have documentation with my high school, police, and social services of all these things. I'm now twenty years old, and he recently went to the police to press false charges against me for the exclusive purpose of intimidation, but decided not to press charges when the officer explained they would be doing a polygraph. He now has a new girlfriend thats only two or three years my senior, and she is very intent on having children. My worst fear is that another child will go through what I did, are there any criminal charges I can press to prevent him from doing this to another child?

Also, having to support myself as a minor led me to financial hardship now in college. I've had to withdraw from my first year of college to enter mental health treatment to recover from the abuse, wasting over 20,000 dollars. He also promised to pay for a third of my college but hasn't. Am I entitled to any financial compensation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">