• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate transfer question re: Non-profit donated land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmm1101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello. I have a question regarding a real estate transfer. Facts are as follows:

My non-profit organization for Catholics donated a 4-acre parcel of land to the local Archdiocese to build a Catholic high school in 1955. There are notes and minutes in the organization's minute books that this parcel was being donated from one Catholic organization to another for the purpose of building a new high school. The Deed relays that the parcel was "sold" for $1.

This high school recently moved to a bigger parcel in 2009. The Archdiocese then turned around and sold the 4-acre parcel to a builder for $3 Million recently.

What rights, if any, do we have in this matter? The parcel was donated and the receiver turned around and sold it for an enormous profit.

Thanks for any help.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello. I have a question regarding a real estate transfer. Facts are as follows:

My non-profit organization for Catholics donated a 4-acre parcel of land to the local Archdiocese to build a Catholic high school in 1955. There are notes and minutes in the organization's minute books that this parcel was being donated from one Catholic organization to another for the purpose of building a new high school. The Deed relays that the parcel was "sold" for $1.

This high school recently moved to a bigger parcel in 2009. The Archdiocese then turned around and sold the 4-acre parcel to a builder for $3 Million recently.

What rights, if any, do we have in this matter? The parcel was donated and the receiver turned around and sold it for an enormous profit.

Thanks for any help.
The notes and minutes mean nothing. The only document that counts is the deed. Unless the deed specifies what happens to the land if/when the school closes, the Archdiocese was free to sell it.

FlyingRon

I doubt they had enormous profit. That money almost certainly went into the replacement high school building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">