• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bounced Check and no pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathy C

I live in Fla and my employer bounced a paycheck. He was having financial problems with the bank and could not issue me 3 subsequent paychecks. I finally told him to lay me off if he could not pay me and he did. However he has not paid me for the bounced check or the 3 subsequent checks due me. I have sent him a letter requesting certified check for my salary due me. Supposedly he is unable to open any bank accounts due to his overdrawing accounts.
He has chosen to ignore my request for pay. Do I sue him in small claims court or what is my alternative>

B

buddy2bear

You have the checks marked "NSF"? Keep them in a safe place - he wrote checks knowing he had no money to cover them -- that is fraud and/or kiting -- totally illegal. Would be nice if you could get a letter from the bank stating when he closed the account, because if he wrote the checks after he closed the account -- gotcha.

File a claim with your State's wage & hour. Do not give them the original checks. Have them make copies. Usually W&H will give the employer 30 days to answer your complaint or send the money to them. If the employer doesn't answer or send money, then W&H will pass the case onto the State's Attorney General for prosecution. That's when those original returned checks will come in extremely handy as leverage and you will have proof of possible criminal intent --

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">