• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witnessed crime - now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artgal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My boyfriend and I witnessed a domestic fight involving the young lady in the next apartment and members of her family who were visiting. The combatants were all in the parking area in front of our living room window, and I called the police. The girl was arrested for battery, kidnapping and child endangerment. Her bail was fairly high and the interviewing officer was of the opinion she would remain in jail until her trial in several weeks.

She has made bail somehow and is back in her apartment, though she's making like the invisible man.

My questions are two fold: Since it was a family dispute, can the family decide NOT to have it go to trial? And if she is still set for trial, are my boyfriend and I not to have any dealing with her? She has been butting heads with us over several things since she moved in 18 months age and we will NOT seek her out, but having only a wall separating us I need to know what action we need to take.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dave33

Well obviously you cannot rely on a cop for legal advice. As for the incident in the parking lot, who cares? It has nothing to do with you and for all you know all the charges have been dropped. Regardless, the police have what they need from you, if they need something else I am sure they will not hesitate. The police and family involvment should be good for now. If it were me, I would try to ignore them for the most part, otherwise I would be civil. Not being there and not seeing the situation changes things a bit. As for now hopefully no action will be required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">