• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duplex water damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jschmidt1979

Colorado
I recently purchased half a duplex and have neighbors that seem very nice. Our garages share a wall. Its been snowing a lot and when the neighbor parks their vehicle inside the snow melts running off to the adjoining wall and under it to my garage. This would not be an issue except the water is doing damage to the drywall and wood that the wall is made of. I mentioned this to them once and they said they didn't know what they could do about it. I suggjested a few no cost options and they nodded their heads. So far every time it snows water comes from their garage to our garage. I'm getting ready to speak with them again about it. How can i resolve this problem without causeing a conflict?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TigerD

Colorado
I recently purchased half a duplex and have neighbors that seem very nice. Our garages share a wall. Its been snowing a lot and when the neighbor parks their vehicle inside the snow melts running off to the adjoining wall and under it to my garage. This would not be an issue except the water is doing damage to the drywall and wood that the wall is made of. I mentioned this to them once and they said they didn't know what they could do about it. I suggjested a few no cost options and they nodded their heads. So far every time it snows water comes from their garage to our garage. I'm getting ready to speak with them again about it. How can i resolve this problem without causeing a conflict?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You could offer to help them with the solutions, or show them how to do it.

They might be the type of people that are scared of screwdrivers.

DC

jschmidt1979

my wifes idea

My wife has a solution that fits with what you are saying. She sugjest for us to buy them four big beach towels that they can put along the wall whenever it snows. We will try that and see what happens. To train a horse you nee either a carrot or a whip. If they never do anything about it do we have any leagal rights to make them fix the problem or should I contact my insurance company?

HuAi

Sounds more like the wall was improperly built? Is there a waterproof base molding around the bottom? You can buy a 4 inch wide rubber strip that will close the gap between the floor and the wall really cheap from your home depot - both of you should have it on both sides.

drewguy

Presumably it's doing the same thing on their side, and you could point out that it's in their interest to remedy the problem as well. If they're causing damage to the common wall, then they are legally liable, but until there's more than minor damage your insurance company isn't likely to do much for you other than raise your rates.

BTW, how recently was the duplex built? It's rather shoddy construction. But keep in mind if it was built remotely to code the wood, at least at the bottom (the "sill plate" or bottom plate) should be pressure treated lumber and fairly resistant to rot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">