• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question 4 of 13 in Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeneM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Someone listed this question on your Web site under the Insurance Company section of questions.

"The insurance company selected a specific body shop to repair my car but I prefer another. What are my rights?"

The response on your web site is incorrect for the State of California. You web site posted

"You’ll probably lose this one. You are entitled to have your car restored as nearly as possible to its pre-wreck condition, but your insurance company can direct you to a shop it feels does good work and is cost efficient. You can ask them to use your mechanic. If it is important enough to you, you can even offer to pay the difference in price. Ultimately, you are at the mercy of the insurer. You will have a better chance convincing them if your shop of choice is not owned by a relative."

In fact the law in California states that a consumer has the right to select the repair facility of their choice. This is not a battle that Insurance Companies can win, but they can and do regularly mislead and intimidate consumers in to using the insurance company's direct repair facility.

There is a reason why insurance companies are prohibited from owning repair facilities in the State of California.

Gene ...

ecmst12

I don't know what web site you're talking about but yes, that information is incorrect. A damaged party can get their vehicle repaired at the shop of their choice, it's the SHOP that will be at the mercy of the insurance company's rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">