• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 days notice to transfer units in co-op

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mourna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My family and I live in a 1 bedroom unit that has had a foundation crack in the concrete slab floor for years now. The management is doing remodeling on the units now which has been planned for at least one year and had been talking about fixing that crack with the remodel for the last few months. We received a notice they placed in our mailbox telling us that we've got 9 days to pack and move our family to a specified unit.

"Park North will waive the the Transfer Rule, Fees, and Rehabilitation costs for <Address> for this inconvenience..."

I have two questions:

1. Can they really place a notice like this in our mailbox (they dated the letter Jan 5th but never gave it to us until the 8th) and give us only until the 17th to be completely moved out of our current unit for this repair that they've known about for quite a while?

2. We would like to upgrade to a larger unit but the manager is telling us that we would have to pay the equity of the larger unit in full and couldn't access our equity on our current unit until it's sold, which could take months due to the repair. If we transfer to the unit they wish us to take, however, everything transfers - including the equity. I understand and more than willing to pay the difference in equities, but don't see why I should pay the equity in full on a larger unit when it transfers to a like unit in full.

I'll be meeting with the manager this Monday to go over everything. I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and have fibromyalgia and my fiance can't take time off work - the idea of packing and moving everything in a week is daunting. On the other hand, I don't want to be too pushy and take the chance of the co-op retracting the waivers they've offered due to the inconvenience.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">