• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The most messed up sentencing- I need HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alicex9

MICHIGAN
Okay here is my issue, at 17-18 I had a few MIP`s two for alcohol, one for tobacco and a couple driving violations, very minor ones though..I was a young dumb teenager, and dint pay the tickets, or go to court, I left state and stayed out of Michigan for 12 years.
Well I eventually wanted to have a legal drivers liscence, so I returned to Michigan to clear up these charges, and thats when my hell started.
I was ordered to pay over 3300.00 in fines and fees, as well as being sentenced to 2 days of work program for the tobacco charge and 250 hours community service and probation for one of the MIP`s.
I was given 10 months to do the community service, but I still had no liscence beause I had two tickets to still pay off in yet another state although all of my Michigan suspensions are now lifted. Well without transportation to community service, getting rides from other people and such I only completed 67 hours and its been a year now.
My probation officer violated me, but heres the great part.. I DIDNT GET THE COURT NOTICE IN THE MAIL- not the courts fault, but where I live with my dad and step family, its very chaotic, messy and there are three kids there, so anyways some how the letter got lost, and I didnt know i had a warrant until a month after the court date. ( I did get the letter stating a warrant has been issued however) -
I have called the courts and have been told I have a 500.00 bond, and if I come in without that money I will likely be held for three weeks until the new court date. So for now I am working, part time trying to save money, and still not driving. My question is this, does anyone know what the likely penalty will be for my violation?
It is my first, and Im on non-reporting probation. I do not use alcohol or drugs, I have had no other criminal violations.. I have judge Asidorian in Rochester court.. she was not nice when I first saw her, she was very angry that it took me 12 years to take care of this.. And now here I am, continuing to be unresponcible.. Im sorry but its hard.. Im below the poverty level with no real family help at all.. what do you think they will do?? IM scared as hell to go to jail.. I was told that maybe I would be sentenced to jail for the remaining 193 hours i didnt complete... Im not sure.. any ideas guys????

alicex9

I forgot to mention that I am 30 years old now with a child and a job if that at all matters to my case.

Gail in Georgia

You have no family help? Your post indicates you live with your dad and step family. Are they all as irresponsible as you are?

Frankly, I think folks in your situation should just throw themselves on the mercy of the court based on being an idiot. Such a tactic might just work.

Gail

alicex9

To Gail

You know what its people like you that make this world so hard to live in.
Thanks for the stellar advice, Gail. I appreciate it.. I was asking if anyone knew what a possible charge would be for a first time probation violation for not completeing community service.. you probably think I deserve to be behind bars, or better yet, why not just exterminate all the poor people, that would make the world much nicer for snobby, judgemental ****s like yourself.

I was an irresponsible teenager, yes. And since that time have kept my stuff pretty much in order, however do you suggest I drive without a liscense, or not complete my community service? which of those two choices is the least responsible? The court notice getting lost is just a fluke, and not anyones fault, and no my family can not help financially- they are not idiot losers, just poor- I, by the way have a job and do make money, but its about 100.00-150.00 a week and with rent and food, that doesnt leave much for saving. I hate that I am defending myself, but where the hell do you get off calling people idiots when they ask for help??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know what its people like you that make this world so hard to live in.
I couldn't disagree more. It's the people who "...at 17-18 I had a few MIP`s two for alcohol, one for tobacco and a couple driving violations, very minor ones though..I was a young dumb teenager, and dint pay the tickets, or go to court, I left state and stayed out of Michigan for 12 years." that make it hard on themselves.

dave33

It's hard to say. A lot of time has passed, and you never know how a judge will react. The courts have no resposibiliity to inform you of a warrant. Sometimes they do not tell you deliberately to make it easier to catch you. The charge against you is not serious. The problem is the $. After all this time, if you are lucky enough (doubtful) to set up another plan, than you willl need some money. Realistically, because of the time, the judge may want the amount in full. You have no money, so you are at the mercy of the court. In this situation you may be permitted a short time to say something to the judge. He has heard it all before. How much is the total you owe? What can you come up with? Because of the time frame this is a hard case to even form an opinion about.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">