• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a statute of limitations on being sued ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SierraNevada

I received a notice that I am being sued for a personal loan I took out seventeen years ago, before I married and had children. Is there a statute of limitation on credit union-personal loans ? Should I show up for court ?

JETX

Yes there is a Statute of Limitations on verbal and written contracts, but since you didn't tell us where you live (see the RED text at the top of the screen), we can't tell you what it is.

Suffice to say, if the last contact you had with the creditor was 17 years ago, it is probably expired. However, the SOL 'clock' is usually based on the time from LAST ACTIVITY (payment, etc.) to date of filing.

S

SierraNevada

Statue of limitations on being sued

Thank you for your knowledgeable response. I apologize for not mentioning the state I live in. It is Massachusetts.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Steve:

Whodathunk??

This writer signs in as "Sierra Nevada", so you'd think that she's possibly from California or Nevada !

Wrong Turkey Breath !! She's from Massachusetts of all places, and 2700 miles from the Sierras !

You'd think that she'd sign in as "Charles River" or "Paul Revere" or "Revolution" or "Old North Church" or "Boston Harbor" or something indicative of MA. But nooooooooo ! It's Sierra Nevada.

Just tickled my funny bone.

Good luck to you writer.

IAAL

P.S. The MA Statute of Limitation on all contracts, including oral, written and promissory notes is 6 years. Heed the rest of the caveats as spelled out by Steve.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 03-30-2001 at 09:39 PM]

S

SierraNevada

Statute of limitations

Thank you for you replies, I greatly appreciate it. And yes, I was born and raised in Boston, but I love Lake Tahoe and the surrounding area.

Again, my thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your welcome, Sierra.

And, here I am, a couple of hundred miles south of Lake Tahoe, and I'd love nothing better than to see Boston again. Oh, the Italian section, Pete's Bar, and the old Bull and Finch . . . the aromas you could eat for lunch !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">