• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teqnike

LEGAL STATE: California

Basically I did not hit any cars. I hit the center divider and then onto the sidewalk and left the car. While the other 2 passengers stayed in the car. The cops are labeling it as a hit and run since I didn't come back to the scene of the accident. What can I do to get out of it? I suppose they want to charge me with a DUI but I was falling asleep behind the wheel.

Also can they charge me with a DUI since they have no proof of me drinking?

Last edited:

ecmst12

"I fell asleep at the wheel" is just code for "I was drunk". But unfortunately for the other drivers in your town, they can't charge you with DUI unless they have proof you were drinking. However, it WAS a hit and run and they will prosecute fully for that since they can't get you for drinking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">