• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee working more than 40 hours a week !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rajiv

i was planning on taking over a business (small sandwich shop in california)and have a question that i am hoping you can provide an answer to. ONe of the employees at that shop has worked there for more than 3 years now. He works close to 60 hours a week. The current employer has been paying him cash for hours worked over 40 and has avoided paying him the overtime for the 20 extra hours. I am not sure if this is legal. I would like to keep this employee when i take over the store but i won't be able to afford to pay him cash for the 20 extra hours. I want to keep things legal. Can you please advise. I was thinking of keeping him on salary. Is there another alternative (something that's legal) for paying him for the extra 20 hours over the 40 hours he will be working? Please advise. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">