• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CBGUY1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Called a garage to come out and fix a flat tire ...... they fixed the flat and jump started my car at 2:30 pm.... they left the car running and called me at 4:00 pm to let me know what they had done .... I left work and went home... upon my arrival the car was not running but had overheated and blew the engine ..... the garage indicates that they did nothing wrong ... I want them to pay for a new engine ..... ************** I did not ask them to start the car, they said they did it as a favor ...... what are my options

ecmst12

There must have been something wrong with the engine already, if the car had been in good working order then idling for 90 minutes would have done no damage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Called a garage to come out and fix a flat tire ...... they fixed the flat and jump started my car at 2:30 pm.... they left the car running and called me at 4:00 pm to let me know what they had done .... I left work and went home... upon my arrival the car was not running but had overheated and blew the engine ..... the garage indicates that they did nothing wrong ... I want them to pay for a new engine ..... ************** I did not ask them to start the car, they said they did it as a favor ...... what are my options
If they were there to fix the flat, why did they jump start the car? How did the jump start the car without the keys?

CBGUY1

Approx. a week ago they had come out to jump start the car when I was home, they jumped the car, it started, I did a few errands .... I had been out of town for a week .... the car was in my driveway , bad habit but I always leave my keys in it .... car had a flat.... I asked them to fix the flat.... I have a voice mail from them where they say that they will come out and fix the tire .... I sure wouldnt want or expect them to jump start my car if I wasnt around .... never had an issue like this ....not trying or wanting to sue anyone ... just figure out what my next step is .....

ecmst12

There is no next step, the car was dying already, they didn't cause any damage just allowed the damage that was there to further kill the engine. But you needed a new engine before this ever happened. If you let that shop do the work they might cut you a break on the price.

Huh? What is the basis for the belief the car was broken already? What if the fan belt broke or the water pump broke in that time? An idling car can get pretty hot in 90 minutes. Besides, with a DRIVER in the car, maybe when the temp gauge goes to red or the idiot light comes on, he pulls over and stops. Maybe there's a repair involved (I don't know anything about cars beyond gas in the back and oil in the front so I'm not going to pretend to diagnose.), but it could be a LOT cheaper than an entire engine.

I think a lawsuit for negligence (maybe trespass to chattel/conversion) is entirely appropriate if the OP can prove he only asked for a change of tire. Not only is it common sense to not leave a car running for that amount of time, I bet it's even in the manual.

A vehicle in proper condition will idle for 90 minutes without causing any damage. THAT is the basis
ANY vehicle should be under supervision when idling. Because:
What if the fan belt broke or the water pump broke in that time? An idling car can get pretty hot in 90 minutes. Besides, with a DRIVER in the car, maybe when the temp gauge goes to red or the idiot light comes on, he pulls over and stops.
You can't look at just the idling, you have to look at the unsupervised idling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">