• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to supervise child - Nevada Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

404error

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I am from CA and was cited for failure to supervise a child in Reno. I was under the impression that I should not leave children in the car when weather is hot (I am wrong). Weather was 55F, tilted my sunroof and locked the door to pop into a supermarket to buy some peanut butter an jelly for my 2 girls (4 and 7). My 7 year old knows how to open the door if needed and was awake while the 4 year old was asleep after a day of skiing (reason why I left them in the car - let her have her nap)

Was in the store for about 10 minutes and left. Someone spotted the 2 kids in the car and call the cops but I left before cops arrived. That person tailed me and since the 4 year old was still asleep, I stopped at a $1 store to pick up some toys as a reward for doing well in skiing. 2 minutes after I got into the store, was called to custy service by the cops. Cops had approached my 7 year old who opened door and informated them of my name and that i was in the store.

I have a clean record. Not even a traffic violation.

How serious of a trouble am I in? Jail time? Is there anyway for me not to have this appear on my records. Can I go to some parenting class and not have it appear on my records?

Citation was for $220 X 2 KIDS = $440.

Help! What a start to a new year

404error

Cdwjava - Violation Code is: 8.16.060b

Zigner - You are correct, I was an idiot. 4 year old missed nap and was deep asleep after day of skiing, figured I would just pop into store quickly. 7 year old was awake playing Nintendo and door was locked and could only be opened from inside, sunroof was tilted open.

Weather was a cool 50F (I was under the impression that one should not leave kids in car when it is hot. Lots of horror stories about it. Recently happened in a Bay Area BART station where dad dropped car off at BART station forgetting that kid was in car seat.....). It was 3pm in the afternoon with lots of people around. But again, you are correct - big lapse of judgement on my part. It was supposed to be a Dad/Daughters bonding ski trip. Now I have big worry that this record will follow me for the rest of my life.

Any idea if this will stay on my records or is there a way to go to some parenting class just like traffic school. Also, will they throw me into jail!!

Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...door was locked and could only be opened from inside.
Oh, you have locks that can ONLY be opened from the inside? I would like to know what sort of car THAT is so I can make sure my car is never stolen!

404error

Ah wrong choice of word. I mean doors can be opened from inside by just pulling on the latch vs having to unlock (from the inside) then pulling on the latch.

Oh, you have locks that can ONLY be opened from the inside? I would like to know what sort of car THAT is so I can make sure my car is never stolen!

FlyingRon

(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person who is a parent or guardian, or for any person who has been entrusted by a parent or guardian, to fail to supervise and attend a child or children under the age of ten years.
You can't leave kids under 10 alone while shopping.
Doesn't matter if you crack the windows.
Doesn't matter what the temperature is, or if you left them a bowl of water, or tied them to the back bumper.

404error

That is very clear to me now and I was wrong. No idea what was on my mind but kept hearing about kids dying of heat while left in car so my focus was to make sure that conditions was not as such (can't see forest for the trees).

What would be helpful for me now is to know what is the typical approach of Reno courts for folks like me. This is a mandatory appearance. Do they lock me up and throw away the key, do they fine me heavily and place this misdemenour on my record or will they allow first time offenders some leeway - maybe attend classes and not have it on my records.

Anyone know what would be the typical approach either in Reno or in your state?

You can't leave kids under 10 alone while shopping.
Doesn't matter if you crack the windows.
Doesn't matter what the temperature is, or if you left them a bowl of water, or tied them to the back bumper.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Here is the offense (and no they will not lock you up and throw away the key):

Sec. 8.16.060. - Duties of parents, guardians and all adult persons.
(a)
It is unlawful for any adult to contribute to the delinquency of any minor without regard to age. The crime shall consist in any act by such adult in aiding, abetting or furthering the breach of any municipal ordinance or state statute by any minor, either before, after or during the fact thereof.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person who is a parent or guardian, or for any person who has been entrusted by a parent or guardian, to fail to supervise and attend a child or children under the age of ten years.
The penalty per 1.04.010 includes a fine "of not less than $1.00 nor more than $1,000.00 or be punished by imprisonment in the city jail not to exceed six months, or be punished by both fine and imprisonment." They are NOT going to toss you in the clink for this. You will face a fine somewhere in the mid range.

Only a local attorney can tell you what other consequences it might have. Typically these offenses do not show up on any state criminal history record and are treated much like traffic offenses. If you are really concerned, it might help to put your mind at ease if you called aroun dand asked for a consultation with a couple of Reno area attorneys to get a feel for where things stand.

Good luck. And the world is not over. Just remember that you may have to lug the wet, tired, and cold kids with you next time ... I spent years doing just that. It's a bear, but it can be done.

404error

Thanks CDWjava

Wet tired kids a-dragging it will be from now on.

Would you happen to know of any attorney in Reno that I can consult with?

Yes, I can use the attorney search functions but nothing beats a recommendation.

Silverplum

Thanks CDWjava

Wet tired kids a-dragging it will be from now on.

Would you happen to know of any attorney in Reno that I can consult with?

Yes, I can use the attorney search functions but nothing beats a recommendation.
We are prohibited from giving referrals.

404error

Apologies for contravening forum rules.

Would also appreciate it if anyone who has idea of NV laws, especially for Reno to give further input on my situation.

CdwJava

I do not know any attorneys there, anyway. But, I DO know the Chief of Police! :D

Your violation is a Reno Municipal Code violation so will be subject to local regulation as well as state law.

FlyingRon

I do not know any attorneys there, anyway. But, I DO know the Chief of Police! :D
Not to impune Cdw, or indicate he would do such things, but this is why you ought to be talking to a lawyer about this. The prosecution may be listening and we are NOT your lawyer and there is no privilege in communications on this board or to its members.

404error

I am sure cdwjava is just trying to put a smile on my sullen face (he did!) with comments and that is all there is to it.

The way I look at it, it seems straight forward - left the kids unattended - so that is that. Now if I had a lot of $$, I might hire a lawyer to find some technicality to get me off the hook. Alas, that is not the case hence I am here at Freeadvice.

At the moment I am just trying to find out how my type of case would be handled at Reno Muni. Would it be slap on the wrist - fine, parental classes and be on your way. Or perhaps fine, misdemeanour record (could affect me for a lifetime). In this competitive employment env, any such record would grow to become a yoke on one's career.

As it is this offence calls for a mandatory court appearance. Wonder if it will result in a mandatory misdemeanour record.

So just trying to catch the tone of Reno Muni Court.

Thank you all for the help and I will keep you guys updated of the outcome (hopefully no in jail - hmmm do they allow internet excess in jail?:).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">