• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Surviving tenants of joint Community Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wandaF

California . Family of 4 adults(Mother +Father+Son+Wife) with Joint ownership of a home in Alameda ,California. We are in the process of refinancing. Mother in Law died in January 2009. The bank requires that we file with the county not only a "death certificate" but "Affidavit of Death" as well as " Affidavit of Surviving Joint tenant of community property" (or some such) as well as a few other forms we readily have on hand. We needed help or clarification on the term "Grantor" in the Surviving joint tenant's form. Is the "grantor" the former owner of the property before we bought? Is it us? Is it the county or the bank who gave us the original loan?
Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

California . Family of 4 adults(Mother +Father+Son+Wife) with Joint ownership of a home in Alameda ,California. We are in the process of refinancing. Mother in Law died in January 2009. The bank requires that we file with the county not only a "death certificate" but "Affidavit of Death" as well as " Affidavit of Surviving Joint tenant of community property" (or some such) as well as a few other forms we readily have on hand. We needed help or clarification on the term "Grantor" in the Surviving joint tenant's form. Is the "grantor" the former owner of the property before we bought? Is it us? Is it the county or the bank who gave us the original loan?
Thanks
**A: better to hire a real estate attorney.

wandaF

Grantor defined

I found a link to definitions regarding "Quit claim deeds"
and it says "grantor=seller". It makes sense. For future reference if you need to have a decedent removed from a jointly owned deed of property a mere death certificate is not enough. At least in Alameda County CA. You will undoubtedly be required to do this, as I found out, should you attempt to refinance your property following the death of one of the joint tenants(owners or folks on the deed). We were told what documents were required by the county: Death Certificate, Deed ,Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant as well as Affidavit of Surviving Joint Tenants. Alameda County's Official web site offered a wealth of legal forms which you can down load for free.
Thanks anyway HomeGuru.

Last edited:

wandaF

one more Form

OOps I forgot to list the "PRELIMINARY CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP REPORT
" Which for $20.00 they will assist you in filling out at the County office...I hope.
We were told what documents were required by the county: Death Certificate, Deed ,Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant as well as Affidavit of Surviving Joint Tenants..

HomeGuru

I found a link to definitions regarding "Quit claim deeds"
and it says "grantor=seller". It makes sense. For future reference if you need to have a decedent removed from a jointly owned deed of property a mere death certificate is not enough. At least in Alameda County CA. You will undoubtedly be required to do this, as I found out, should you attempt to refinance your property following the death of one of the joint tenants(owners or folks on the deed). We were told what documents were required by the county: Death Certificate, Deed ,Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant as well as Affidavit of Surviving Joint Tenants. Alameda County's Official web site offered a wealth of legal forms which you can down load for free.
Thanks anyway HomeGuru.
**A: ok, good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">