• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elizabeth1234

California

I was in an accident that was 100% the other drivers fault. The insurance company sent me at check and I took my car to a body shop and they came up with $800.00 more in damages. Now, his insurance is going to salvage my car because it's not worth the amount of damages. I was in the process of getting this car (67 bug) restored and appraised. This car was in perfect condition before the accident! I don't want this car salvaged. What can I do to avoid this? Can I just take the check they sent to me and I pay for the rest of the bill? Please help!

ecmst12

You can keep the car and pay the difference between the value and the repair costs - salvage value yourself, but the title will still be branded.

ecmst12

Nope. The damage is done. Once the accident happens and is known about, you can't take it back.

Do a little research though, it's possible if you do a really nice restore job, a salvage title might not hurt the value too much. Normally it does, but the car is 40 years old and was a piece of junk to begin with, restored beetles are usually in better condition then they were when they were new :) No one is going to expect a car that old to have a spotless history though.

Elizabeth1234

No salvage title!!

I just wanted to let you know that I refused their offer of Salvage title and said that I wanted the car fixed and they are doing just that! :D They gave the body shop the amount of the estimate and I will pay any difference after the car is fixed.

Oh, and my car is NOT a piece of junk as you said in an earlier message!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just wanted to let you know that I refused their offer of Salvage title and said that I wanted the car fixed and they are doing just that! :D They gave the body shop the amount of the estimate and I will pay any difference after the car is fixed.

Oh, and my car is NOT a piece of junk as you said in an earlier message!
a 40 year old bug in need of restoration IS (by definition) a piece of junk :rolleyes:. Heck, some would argue that a 40 year old bug in immaculate condition is also a piece of junk!

ecmst12

Those old beetles were pieces of junk when they rolled off the assembly line! But after restoration, a lot of them are pretty impressive.

Your repair costs must have been right on the border of totalling it, you got lucky :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">