• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Merba

I was fired from a waittressing job in Massachusetts a few years ago. After trying to collect Unemployment compensation, my previous employer contested it. I had a hearing at the Unemployment Division and it was found in my Employers favor. The law in Massachusetts clearly states that unless you do something willfully to bring upon your getting fired, you must be able to collect Unemployment compensation. I know that this case has a lot to do with the fact that my previous employers Brother-in-law was the assistant district attorney in the city where the matter in question took place. My previous employer stated as reason for my being fired, customer complaints. He had one written complaint from a customer who quite frankly didn't exist. No proof was ever obtained that such a person existed or even made the actual complaint. Bottom line here is that the manager of the restaurant didn't like me and wanted me fired. It had been going on for a while, as I was employed there for 2 years. I really don't care by which means they chose to terminate me, but the fact remains that in the state of Massachusetts, unless you willfully do something to ensure your being fired, you must be elligible for Unemployment compensation. When I appealed the case it went to Boston and once again they denied me. However one man on the appeals board was brave enough to stand out amongst the others and state that he found no such reason to deny me my right to collect. He had a list of questions amongst which were...where is this person who supposedly made the single complaint, and how is it shown that I willfully ensured my termination? The amount of money that I was elligible for was so small that it wasn't even worth the effort of all that I have been through. It wasn't the money at all, it was the point. It's wrong. At any rate I continued with my persuit of this case in District court and was told that it's a very long process and someone would be in touch with me. Here I am years later and I just got a notice in the mail from the commissioner of the Unemployment Division of Worcester saying that there was going to be a hearing to dismiss the case on April 23rd as the case has been on the dockets for more than 2 years. I should have been notified way before this but such is the system. What can I do about this? I did not have a lawyer and still do not but it obviously would have helped me a great deal had I obtained one. I could not afford it at the time but now I would be able to. Is it too late to do something? Thanks~Merba

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">