• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hharried

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U.S. Federal

My wife was apprehended for shoplifting in a military exchange. We just received a Marshal's Notice of Criminal Charges requiring her to appear at the U.S. Marshal's office to obtain a copy of the summons and the formal charge (information or indictment).

My wife is 60 years old, never had any legal problems (beyond a speeding ticket), and is accused of shoplifting a $36 bottle of after shave that she could easily have paid for. She was paying for other items, and overlooked the after shave in the shopping cart. She is mortified, and we're wondering what happens next. Should we get a lawyer? How can we keep this from going on her record?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

jacksgal

Yes you need a Lawyer and yes there may be a means to keep this off her record. When she talks to the Attorney tell her to ask about Diversion or the like

dave33

Yes, get a lawyer. Now, it comes down to (obviously) what happens next. Are you willing to take the time and $ to fight this? It would be cheaper and easier to take a plea, but that will be pleading guilty and the charge and disposition will go on her record. If your thread is accurate than your wife making an honest mistake is not outside the realm of possibility. Who knows, maybe after the d.a. looks at the case, he may dismiss. I wouldn't count on it, but stranger things have happened. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">