• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NH Probate Court/Guardianship Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sueinperu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Maine but this is coming from 'New Hampsire Probate Court'. I am the Guardian of my sons account. His account started back in approximately 2003. His settlement was for $21,000. His bank account was collecting around $100 a month interest. He wasn't happy with that and wanted to invest his money. He decided to invest in in our house on the grounds that we would sell by the time he was 18 so as to collect his money for college and to start a business. His return on his investment was going to be $10,000. A substantial amount more than to leave it in the bank.
I have never been asked since the account started for any paperwork, ever. All of a sudden i received an order from the NH court asking for a statement of his bank account and that this would be a yearly thing. Since the money isn't in his account, except for a few dollars. I thought we would write up a binding agreement and have it notarized to go along with the bank statement. Will this be sufficient? Are we going to be in any legal trouble? The bank was the one that told us we could withdraw money. Susan

anteater

He decided to invest in in our house...
You went along with this? Tell me that you are joking. The point of having a guardian/custodian for a minor's finances is so that the minor does not have the opportunity to make stupid decisions.

Are we going to be in any legal trouble?
I suspect that you will be unless you restore the funds to the account.

The bank was the one that told us we could withdraw money.
Banks should not be giving legal advice.

sueinperu

So what should i do? What will they do to me? I thought i was doing a good thing giving him a bigger return on his investment. Please help me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">