• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor's dog is driving me nuts!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TenntoMD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
The corner of my back yard backs up into a neighbor's back yard. They are loud enough on their own (the teenage son is constantly screaming at his mom, apparently she is a b***h). The true problem is their dog. It barks when it sees a cat, when another dog barks, when the wind blows...The thing never shuts up. And I understand that that is what dogs do. I have a dog myself, but not a barker. The issue is that the dog is let out at the worst times! The latest that I remember is 12:15 a.m., the earliest is 4:40 a.m. I remember these times because my bedroom window faces their backyard. Twice this dog has woken up my 4 month old. The dog constantly barks, not just early or late. Everytime it is let out it does it. Is there anything I can do? This is a daily problem, and I need sleep!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree with Alex. Perhaps the neighbors don't even realize the barking is causing a problem. How would they know? I mean - they've never had anybody complain, right?

The OP should stop over on a nice sunny afternoon, introduce himself, explain the situation calmly/rationally and ask if the neighbor would consider some possible solutions.

If THAT doesn't work...call the cops.

TenntoMD

I have thought of going to them and asking them to please keep their dog quiet. That thought ended the night that they got into a huge fight with their windows open. Lots of foul language and slamming doors. I figure that anyone who doesn't really care if people hear them fighting probably doesn't care that their dog is keeping people awake.
I actually called the cops on them one night when the son had a party. It was after midnight, and they were outside smoking and yelling. When the cops pulled up there was a flood of underage drinkers hopping over the fence that borders our yards. At least 10 kids. And the parents were home, letting them drink.
Not the best neighbors. I will check the noise ordinance. Thank you for your suggestions.

Alex23

Don't contact the neighbors. This just makes you a target, especially if they're going to be your neighbors from hell. Treat them like normal neighbors, but call the cops when it's necessary. Getting some video evidence won't hurt, either.

toxicgoober

There should most definitely be a law involving just such an issue. My aunt is also having this problem. Her and several neighbors around her have made reports to the police and they are now having to go to civil court in order to resolve the problem. It's sad we live in a society where people have to be told by a judge to turn down their TV's, shut their dogs up, and quit bothering people because they can't understand it without someone holding their hand. I'm sorry you're having to go through the hassle because some fully grown adult won't behave and take the necessary actions to put an end to it. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">