• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Estate closed over a year ago--getting a bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Witchonabroom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My father's estate ended over a year ago and now I'm getting a demanding bill from a CPA that my sister works with for her taxes, demanding to pay for doing my dad's taxes for 2007 and 2008 for $870 and is adding 10% interest since this is a past due. (Never received any bill from her in the first place) All the monies from my dad's estate has been divided and gone.

Witchonabroom

Went thru probate, etc

Yes, we posted what we were supposed to do in the newspapers, we had an estate lawyer who was wonderful. So since my sister and I weren't expecting to be dealing with estates, probates, wills etc at such a young age, she handled everything and knew everything that legally had to be done. We followed all her instructions and did everything by the book. She is the type that everything has to be "all t's are crossed" kind of person. This CPA apparently told my sister, when my sister wanted to get her 2008 taxes done, the CPA told her, I can't do yours until I finish your dad's. She was even told by my husband about the probate and when it ended. I just found out that $435 is for 2007's taxes, when my dad was still alive (he died June 28, 08) and $435 for 2008's. My sister is extremely neurotic regarding money and bills and NOTHING can be paid late. I told her to go ahead and pay that I wasn't, and she told me that the CPA told her that half HAD to come from me and half HAD to come from her from our property account, since their is no longer an estate account.

anteater

....the CPA told her that half HAD to come from me and half HAD to come from her from our property account, since their is no longer an estate account.
The CPA is a twit. The source of the money is none of his/her business.

That said, for $435, I'd go ahead and pay as a practical matter. The CPA can make your life much more miserable than you can make the CPA's.

Dandy Don

If you didn't retain this CPA's services, he can't legally collect this obligation from you. IF sister was executor, she was responsible for paying this entire amount as an ESTATE OBLIGATION while the estate was still open and SHE is responsible for paying the entire amount. Please send the CPA a letter saying that you have been incorrectly billed and that the entire obligation should be billed to the EXECUTOR ONLY, and additionally explain that the CPA erred is delaying his billing for so long a time AND THAT HE SHOULD BE BILLING THE PERSON WHO RETAINED HIS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES (and that person was not YOU). Sister's excuse about what CPA supposedly told her is not very believable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">