• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrasment on a sold home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bolioboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kansas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kansas

in august i sold a mobile home to a mr. kenworthy. last night i received a phone call from the mobile home park informing me that "my" January rent check had bounced. when i told the park manager i no longer owned the home it took a few minutes for him to realize what i was talking about and that the home had been sold.

he proceeded to inform me that my name was still in the computer as the owner because HE had never changed it over because some minor visual appearance issues had not been fixed: painting the shed, fixing 2-3 pieces of skirting, trimming a few trees. He said he didn't change the contract over for reasons that were a matter of leverage! of course he hasn't complained once to anyone about these minor appearance issues until the rent check bounced some months later. He is now telling me that even though mr. kenworthy passed the credit check, background check, and even filled out the contract paperwork (i think he signed it) that because my name was still on the file that he would be reporting ME to the credit bureau if the rent and associated late fees were not taken care of. and that he wouldn't take my name off the account until the appearance issues were fixed and the rent and fees were paid.

am i just being harassed in hopes someone does something? i realize that i have no legal right to even fix the home because i would be trespassing and in violation of destruction of property because i NO LONGER OWN THE HOME!

does the park manager have any right to report this on my credit?
is what the park manager doing constitute harassment?
do i have any legal obligation or right to "get the account in good standing" by paying the late rent and fees and/or fixing the minor appearance issues?

or are all of these issues, including the appearance of the home, the obligations of the new owner (who agreed, but not in writing, to fix these issues as part of the terms of the homes sale)?

thanks so much,

FarmerJ

Split up the problem into two things. First got your own copies of paperwork related to the sale of that home ? if so go see your county clerk and ask if you can use what you have to record the sale of the home to the other party. Or see a local atty who you can get to help you get the title transfered.

nextwife

What does the rental agreement for the pad it sits upon require when a mobile home is sold? What does it require before you are released from the rental agreement that allows your mobile home to be in their park?

bolioboy

well this morning after thinking it over some more, i began to suspect that they don't care who owns the mobile home, but that i had an agreement for the lot, and to "move me out" of the lot and terminate my contract, i have to be in "good standing." good standing is defined as having paid my bills, and having the mobile home up to park standards. i think becuase the home was supposed to be fixed up by the new owner, but wasn't, they never terminated my contract, and never start his.

but about an hour ago, i received a call from the mobile home park, the manager never clarified my thoughts on why i am liable, but he did tell me he talked with corporate and they agreed to go ahead and terminate my contract and "move me out" and to move the other guy him. so in about a week i should receive the papers telling me my contract is officially terminated.

my thanks to ARC mobile homes for being so understanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">