• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INSURANCE and PROBATE ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

forctv2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delware

My father died a year ago. My stepmother did not give us anything. There was property, cars, insurance. Anyway, the step mother just died. Her adopted daughter called and stated that my brother and I had to come and sign an insurance policy that my dad had on the step mother that he was beneficiary of. I called the insurance company and they told me that if I did not sign the policy that the funeral home had in there possession, my brother and I would not receive anything. The insurance policy was Texas Life and stepmother lived in Delaware. I reside in Virginia. And what about the property, how can we find out whose name the property in and if we are entitled to receive anything? Can you advise?

Dandy Don

Ask the adopted daughter to mail you the policy that your signature is needed on. Also ask her whether or not her mother left a last will and testament and ask whether or not you are named as a beneficiary in it. If you are named as beneficiary, ask her what it leaves to you and also ask her to mail you a copy of that. Also talk to the funeral home about the policy--it might just be a small policy worth about a few thousand dollars, enough to take care of the burial expenses.

nextwife

Her "adopted" daughter is simply, her DAUGHTER. How she became her daughter is legally irrelevant. Whether she came to be her daughter by adoption, C section, or midwife assisted natural delivery has no bearing on the legal matter and identifying her biostatus is inappropriate.

The question relates to actions of her DAUGHTER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">