• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voyeurism crime question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fearfulinmich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm from Michigan and have had a crime committed against me. Someone illegally videotaped me in my bathroom both on the commode and bathing many times over quite a span of time. We are pursuing a case with prosecution but I am wondering what the penalty is. Also wondering what the impact would be of other cases pending, one that is possession of marijuana and paraphenalia while driving on a suspended license. Also do we have any power in the final decision if we chose to lessen the charge or is that solely up to the prosecutor?

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm from Michigan and have had a crime committed against me. Someone illegally videotaped me in my bathroom both on the commode and bathing many times over quite a span of time. We are pursuing a case with prosecution but I am wondering what the penalty is. Also wondering what the impact would be of other cases pending, one that is possession of marijuana and paraphenalia while driving on a suspended license. Also do we have any power in the final decision if we chose to lessen the charge or is that solely up to the prosecutor?
You really don't have a say in the matter at all. The DA will choose the charges to be brought... if any... and the judge will decide if the other activities should be given weight.

fearfulinmich

voyeurism question

So from what you said the DA will decide what if anything to charge. I didn't think it was possible for there to be no charge. I know that the police have put through a request for 2 two year felonies but I don't understand if they automatically get that. I guess I figured with other charges out there pending that it would hurt a person's case. In this particular case there is a lot of physical evidence with the suspect caught on tape. Also, what exactly happens in regard to court...does everything happen in one day? The thought of facing the suspect is very difficult for me. I must go to court, right?

swalsh411

I didn't think it was possible for there to be no charge.
Sure there's that chance. There's always that chance. The investigators might not get a confession and the DA might not be able to work a plea or feel there is enough evidence to prove all elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

I know that the police have put through a request for 2 two year felonies but I don't understand if they automatically get that.
Suspects do not get automatically charged based only on the recommendations of the police.

I must go to court, right?
Not if there is a plea deal reached.

fearfulinmich

sexual offender list

Would someone accused of voyeurism or in my case a count for eavesdropping, a count for illegal survelling and unaware individual be placed on the sexual offender list? There has been a complete confession and lots and lots of evidence with the defendant on it.

fearfulinmich

troubles continue

Not only has their been a confession for eavesdropping and surveilling an unclothed person(voyeurisn) which the police are recommending charges for 2,2 year felonies, a charge of driving on a suspended license while caught with marijuana, paraphenalia, and a BB gun, a traffic violation, but now there has been an admission by a child of criminal sexual conduct where the victim was forced to touch the assailant's genitals after the child said no and pulled away. What would this kind of situation mean for the defendant? The prosecustor has to determine if it would be 2nd degree csc or 4th degree. The child was 5 and the defendant was 17 and a family member. Any idea which degree it would be?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">